Sunday, October 24, 2010

Bogged down by stuff...

There is so much I want to do...start my own business, go back to painting, scrapbook, write a book, and the list goes on....but I feel like I am at a stand still. The "stuff" in my life is holding me back, keeping me stagnant...making me miserable.  I am trying to focus on not spending...everytime I go to buy something I am trying to pause and ask is the more important than getting a new house. I think it is helping. More often than not I am walking out empty handed! Yes there are many accomplishments that must be made before the house is a reality....but the house is a tangible thing I can focus on..it seems more inspiring at the moment than paying off the credit cards. Of course the debt must be paid before we could qualify for another mortgage.

I really want my children to have a better life...than what we have right now. I am purging for them and for me. So far this week I have packed up three huge black trashbags of clothes to get rid of, and have put forty pairs of shoes in a box to give away. It is a start...

However, I am having a hard time with just giving stuff away....I keep thinking I should try to sell stuff and at least get something for it, but at the same time just want it out of the house...does anyone have any thoughts about this?

I am very thankful for those of you that took the time to read my posts and I really value your advice and suggestions and will be looking into every one of them.

1 comment:

  1. Each time you resist the urge to buy something, it's a victory - and you should be proud of the accomplishment. Now that you'd started the habit of not spending, perhaps you can try to build on it. Keep track of your 'no spend' days on a calendar or a notebook.

    I can't tell by reading your post if you're out shopping for things you 'need' like groceries and are resisting a 'want' purchase, or if it's a 'want only' shopping trip and you manage to resist spending.

    In order to get a better handle on my finances, I stopped carrying money with me, unless I was out to spend for a specific reason - like groceries or car insurance. All shopping was done with a list, a pen, and a calculator to ensure that I stayed within the allotted budget. It's not for everybody - but it works for me.

    As for the stuff you are purging out - my Mom is going through something similar, and we've talked about it quite extensively. You can't undo the spending, but getting something is better than nothing, right? For a select few items, that may be true. The question you need to ask yourself, is how much will someone else pay for what you consider to be so valuable? Is that worth the effort in trying to sell the item? Only you can make that decision.

    My mom has opted to donate her purged items to her community Hospital Auxiliary Thrift Shop. That's what works for her.

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete